The Meffy Awards (Meffys) 2014: the finalists with videos
September 2014: finalists include SiSense; Appannie; GoMetro; Kurbo Health; mHealth Tanzania; VOTO Mobile; Wikipedia Zero; F-Secure Freedome; Bluebox Security; One97; Wireless Registry; MediSafe; Eko Devices; VoiceItt; Microsoft; DocuSign; EasilyDo; SwiftKey; Bango; Barclays; Eco$ave; EventPilot; ONDiGO; deltaDNA; Pollen VC; Bitstrips; Clumsy Ninja; Blippar; Ensygnia Onescan
Awards: Meffy Awards
Organized by: Mobile Entertainment Forum (MEF)
Deadline for entries: July/August each year.
Entry fee: In 2014 the entrance fee was reduced to US $50, per submission, to cover admin costs. Previously it had cost $199 to $399.
Number of entries: 250 (from 30 countries) in 2014.
Finalists announced: September.
Winners announced: November at the Meffys Awards Ceremony and Gala Dinner, 2014, in San Francisco (mobiThinking readers can claim a 20 percent discount with the code MOBITHINK20).
Prizes: Meffy Award trophy.
Categories in 2014: Big data; Consumer trust; Mobile education; Mobile health; Life tools; Mobile money; Mobile publishing; Mobile service; Monetization & engagement; Social & entertainment app; Social responsibility & development; Innovation in apps; Innovation in technology; Innovation in fintech (mobile financial technologies); Innovation in Growth Markets; Innovative Business Model; Outstanding Contribution.
mobiThinking verdict: The Meffys has been running for ten years, making it one of the more established mobile award ceremonies. In that time it has celebrated some of the greats in mobile entertainment.
It would be useful, for the winners and observers alike, if the Meffys would publish descriptions of each entry and/or video case studies (or links to them), as it’s important to know why each won. The videos added here were sourced by mobiThinking.
Judges: Analysts, journalists, VCs, academics and other industry experts, including mobiThinking’s Andy Favell.
Previous winners with videos and case studies:
Meffys 2013 winners • Meffys 2012 winners.
• Guide to mobile awards • World Summit Mobile Awards • EMMAs • Smarties (MMA Awards) • Global Mobile Awards • Cannes Lions • Meffys • ME Awards •
• Congratulations finalists/winners – please send a link to your video case study to: editor (at) mobiThinking.com, if you wish it to be featured here.
Meffys 2014 Finalists
• Alpine Data Labs for Alpine Chorus: Unleashing the Power of Team-Based Data Science
• App Annie for Advertising Analytics and App Store Optimization (ASO)
• AppsFlyer for AppsFlyer
• deltaDNA for deltaDNA – The power of personalization
• SiSense for SiSense 5.0 Analyzes a Billion Records Instantly on Any Mobile Device
Consumer Trust Award
• AgeCheq for AgeCheq Child App Privacy Ecosystem
• Bluebox Security for Bluebox Security
• F-Secure for F-Secure Freedome
• One97 Communications Ltd. for Paytm App
• The Wireless Registry for Take Control of Your Wireless Identity
• EDUMOBI for EDUMOBI – Mobile Learning Network
• Lingua.ly for Lingua.ly
• Mutual Mobile for Yuby
• Pearson Education for iLit
• Wikimedia Foundation for Wikipedia Zero
• Buddy Enterprises Limited for Buddy App
• Eko Devices for Eko Devices
• Essence for Care@Home™
• MediSafe for MediSafe Medication Management Platform
• VoiceItt for TalkItt: This Is My Voice
Life Tools App Award
• DocuSign, Inc. for DocuSign
• EasilyDo for EasilyDo
• Fueled for Happify – The Happiness App
• Microsoft Mobile for Video Tuner
• SwiftKey for SwiftKey Keyboard
• Bango for The Bango Payments Platform
• Barclays for Barclays Mobile Banking
• Mahindra Comviva for Econet Eco$ave powered by Mahindra Comviva mobiquity Money
• Personal Capital for Personal Capital
• Smart e-Money, Incorporated for Mobile Cash Transfer Program
Content Service Award
ATIV Software for EventPilot – Mobile conference app to create sustainable paperless meetings
• BBG for VOA News
• iRestaurante for iRestaurante
• Mahindra Comviva for Econet Eco$ave powered by Mahindra Comviva mobiquityR Money
• ONDiGO for ONDiGO – Mobile CRM
Monetization & engagement
Social & Entertainment App Award
Social Responsibility and Development Award
• GoMetro for GoMetro USSD service
• Kurbo Health for Kurbo Health
• mHealth Tanzania Public Private Partnership (CDC Foundation) for Healthy Baby, Healthy Pregnancy Text Messaging Service
• VOTO Mobile for Creating Equal Opportunity Through Voice
• Wikimedia Foundation for Wikipedia Zero
Innovation Award for App
• Blippar for Blippar
• Ensygnia for Ensygnia Onescan
• Harris+Hoole for Transforming the customer experience through the Harris+Hoole app
• Plastic Mobile for Neighbourhood Navigator
• Shazam Entertainment for Auto Shazam
Innovation Award for Growth Markets
• GoMetro for GoMetro Mobile Website
• Intigral for Dawri Plus
• Mahindra Comviva for Econet Eco$ave powered by Mahindra Comviva’s mobiquity Money
• Mobilium Global for Smart Health Africa
• NearBytes for SndKey
Innovation Award for Technology
• Blippar for Blippar app on Google Glass
• Drawbridge, Inc for Drawbridge Cross-Device Advertising Technology
• ItsOn Inc. for ItsOn Smart Services Platform
• QualcommTechnologies, Inc. for Qualcomm Vuforia Smart Terrain
• The Wireless Registry for DNS for the Internet of Things
Past Winners of the Meffys:
2013 Award Winners
Social & Entertainment App Shazam for Shazam for TV Service
Life Tools App Tile for Tile
Mobile Money Barclays for Pingit: Picture Payments
Discovery & Engagement | Everything.me
Content Service Maluuba
Brand on Mobile Brandtone for Pepsico / Credito Para Torcida
Consumer Trust NQ Mobile for NQ Mobile Security
Social Responsibility & Development Mahindra Comviva for Ecocash powered by Mobiquity
Innovation for App SwiftKey for SwiftKey 4
Innovation for Technology Mozilla for Firefox OS
Innovation for Business Model Fortumo for Android App Distribution
Innovation for Growth Markets moWoza
• For more details and video case studies see: Meffys 2013 winners4>
2012 Award Winners
Social & Entertainment App Electronic Arts for The Sims Freeplay on iOS and Android
Life Tools App The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music for ABRSM Aural Trainer
m-commerce Barclays Bank for Barclays Pingit
Discovery & Engagement Yala Music for Yala
Content Service PERFORM for Al Jazeera Sport Mobile Apps
Brand on Mobile Crispin Porter & Bogusky for Just Dance 3 - Autodance
Publisher on Mobile Financial Times for FT Web App
Consumer Trust Lookout for Lookout Mobile Security
Social Responsibility & Development Afroes for Moraba
Innovation for App Citibank for Citibank Tablet App
Innovation for Technology Calltrunk for Calltrunk
Innovation for Monetization GetJar for GetJar Gold Virtual Currency
Innovation for Growth Markets biNu for biNu Social Network and Content Platform
• For more details and video case studies see: Meffys 2012 winners4>
2011 Award Winners
Ad Campaign The Coca Cola Company for Sprite Slam Dunk 2011
Blockbuster App Research In Motion for BlackBerry Travel
Brand on Mobile Velti and Ericsson IPX for A&N Mobile CRM
Content AKQA for Nigella Quick Collection
Content Discovery & Personalisation Shazam for Shazam for TV
Game Electronic Arts for Dead Space
Innovation in a Mobile First Market ForgetMeNot Africa for their Message Optimiser
Innovative App Onavo for Onava Data Shrinking App for iPhone and iPad
Innovative Business Model Hungama Mobile for Vishal & Shekhar Mobile Music Concert
M-Commerce Service Eagle Eye Solutions for Karen Millen Mobile Gift Vouchers
Mobile Connected Device Apple for iPad2
Mobile Website CBS Interactive for CBS.com
Music Service Aspiro Music for WiMP
Social Media Service Movellas for Movellas
Technology Innovation OnStar for Onstar Mobile App
TV & Video Service Saffron Digital for Media Hub
2010 Award Winners
Ad Campaign: Fancharge for Go! Go! Lions Baseball
App Store Blockbuster: CBS Mobile for NCAA March Madness on Demand
Business Intelligence: Motally for Motally
Consumer Experience: FindaProperty.com for FindaProperty
Content Discovery and Personalization: Taptu for Touch Search
Cross Platform Content: Zed Group for Planet 51
Cross-Platform Technology: MTS for Omlet.ru
Games: PopCap for Plants vs Zombies
Innovative App: CBS Mobile for CW City-Wize iPhone App
Innovative Business Model: Mob4Hire for Crowd Sourced Mobile Testing
M-Commerce: Wau Movil for First Gateway Service Offer in Latin America
Mobile Connected Device: Novatel Wireless for MiFi Intelligent Mobile Hotspot
Mobile First Innovation: Tata Teleservices for English Seekho
Music Service: Shazam for Shazam Encore
Social Media: Handmade Mobile for Flirtomatic
Technology Innovation: Layar for Layar Reality Browser
TV and Video Service: CBS Mobile for TV.com Android; iPhone Mobile
2009 Award Winners
Games: Gameloft for "Real Football 2009"
Music Service: 24-7 Entertainment for "TDC Play"
TV & Video Service: BBC for "BBC iPlayer on mobile"
Content: 20:20 London for "Thmbnls Interactive Mobile Drama"
Social Networking: Handmade Mobile Entertainment for "Flirtomatic"
Search & Discovery: MTS for "MTS Super Search"
Ad Campaign Award: TURKCELL for "Tone&Win"
D2C Service: GetJar for "GetJar"
Application: Opera Software for "Opera Mini 4.2"
Technology Innovation: Nokia for "Nokia Ovi Store"
'Mobile First' Innovation: Hungama Digital Media for "Tata Sky"
Business Intelligence: comScore for "GSMA Proof of Concept"
Innovative Business Model: Orange for "Dolphin Pay-As-You-Go package"
Quality of Experience: Dolby Laboratories for "Dolby Mobile"
Handset: INQ Mobile for "INQ - The World's First Social Mobile"
Outstanding Contribution: Dr. Antero Taivalsaari - Principal Investigator, Sun Microsystems Laboratories; Mark VandenBrink - Motorola Fellow & VP
2008 Award Winners
Games: Nokia for "Hooked on: Creatures of the Deep"
Music Service: mBlox & Myxer for “Myxer Mobile Music”
Artist Campaign: Absolute Marketing & Distribution for “Wet Wet Wet SMS Pre-order Campaign”
TV & Video Service: Rhythm NewMedia and 3UK for “Free Video on 3UK”
Technology Innovation: Zeemote® for “Zeemote JS1 Controller”
Content: Fun Little Movies Channel
Communities & UGC: Flirtomatic
Search & Discovery: Gracenote for “Gracenote Mobile Music Platform”
Marketing Campaign: Orange for “Frank TV”
Handset Application: fring
Quality of Experience: Zeemote® – “Zeemote JS1 Controller”
Off-Deck Services: Thumbplay
Innovative Business Model: MMcast for "MMCast"
Handset: Nokia N95 8GB
2007 Award Winners
Games: Gameloft for “Miami Nights: Singles in the City”
Music Service: Omnifone for “MusicStation”
Artist Campaign: Parlophone/New Visions for “Lily Allen Mobile Site”
TV & Video Service: QUALCOMM for “MediaFLO” System
Technology Innovation: Alltel Wireless for “Celltop”
Content: Endemol Digital Media for “Get Close to…Sugababes”
Innovative Business Model: AdMob for “AdMob Marketplace”
Communities & UGC: Loop Mobile for “MOKO”
Search & Discovery: MCN for “DoCoMo D903i FM Radio Search”
Handset Application: ShoZu for ShoZu
Marketing Campaign: Hungama Mobile for “Hutch & Casino Royale Campaign”
Handset: Nokia for “N95”
Operator: Telenor Norway
2006 Award Winners
Games: Digital Chocolate for “Tower Bloxx”
Music: Warner Music for WAMO Packs
Content: Chooz Active Content for “Foreplay”
Services: Bango for “The Bango Service”
Innovation: 3 UK and Yospace for “SeeMeTV”
Operator: 3 UK
Handset: Nokia for the “N70”
Marketing Campaign: France Telecom/Orange and Warner Music for Madonna: Confessions on a Dance Floor”
2005 Award Winners
Games: Nokia N-Gage for ‘Pathway to Glory’
Music: Vodafone, for its ‘Vodafone live!’ Full Track Music Download Service
Content: Endemol UK with Victoria Real, for ‘Celebrity Big Brother 3’
Services: Orange France for ‘Video Universe’
Innovation: Vodafone and Twentieth Century Fox TV for ‘24: Conspiracy’
2004 Award Winners
Games: IN-FUSIO – IN-FUSIO Mobile Games Services
Music: Chaoticom with Eurotel Praha – Eurotel Jukebox
Innovation: Ki-Bi Mobile Technologies represented by Icon mSolutions – “Ki-Bi™”
Best in Show: Chaoticom with Eurotel Praha for Eurotel Jukebox
(voted for by the audience at the awards using SMS)
• Sorry we had to turn comments of on this article due excessive spam, if you have a comments, please email: editor (at) mobiThinking.com.
• Be the first to know when mobiThinking adds new stats, guides, competitions etc… follow mobiThinking on Twitter: @mobithinking or via the RSS feed.
• What is m-commerce? How big is it really?
• Revealed: mobile banking customers at world’s largest banks – the huge, the tiny and the AWOL
• The 10 ways mobile search is different: implications for your mobile Web/search strategy
• The insiders' guides to worlds greatest mobile markets • Latest: UK
• The big compendium of global mobile stats • Latest: M-commerce, m-payment, NFC, m-ticketing, m-coupons, m-gambling, m-entertainment
• Guide to mobile industry awards • Latest video case studies: Cannes Lions
• Mobile marketing resources: links to the most useful places on the Web (2014 update)
• Mobile SEO best practices for 2014
• Next-generation mobile ads: What is a demand-side platform (DSP) and real-time bidding (RTB)?
• Guide to mobile agencies
• Guide to mobile ad networks
• Mobile events 2014 • best conferences, great discounts and free tickets •
• Most popular content on mobiThinking in 2013
© mobiThinking. Feel free to reference, quote or paraphrase parts of mobiThinking articles, clearly stating and linking to mobiThinking as the source, but reprinting or republishing the whole or substantial parts of the piece without permission will not be tolerated. Please see mobiThinkings legal statement.