Video: The Weather Channel’s guide to targeted mobile advertising. Scott Jensen, Weather Channel
People readily volunteer their location in return for an accurate local weather forecast, which means The Weather Channel knows where everybody is. Couple this with contextual relevance, an offer on a hot drink at a retail outlet nearby when it’s cold, or a sunny holiday when it’s snowing, and you have a winning combination.
With 33 million unique monthly users on Weather.mobi and 20 million app downloads on both Android and iPhone, The Weather Channel is one of the top mobile destinations in the US and, increasingly, worldwide as it expands abroad. The need to monetize its vast mobile readership has propelled it into developing a highly innovative mobile ad business, developing custom campaigns for top advertisers.
In this in-depth interview Scott Jensen, vice president, Weather Channel answers the following questions:
0:15 How does the Weather Channel use mobile?
0:40 How many people use each of the different platforms?
1:35 What is the business model for Weather Channel’s mobile channels?
2:25 What type of thing can you do with mobile advertising and targeting today?
4:35 Do you deliver different types of ads to different platforms?
6:50 What types of mobile ads deliver the best ROI?
There are ten video interviews in the North America mobile experts series:
• Using mobile to tap into millions of concert-goers – Russell Wallach, Live Nation Network
• What marketers need to know about mobile in China – Jia Zheng, AKQA
• Meeting the needs of mobile customers with mobile Web/HTML5 – Stephen Gates, Starwood Hotels
• What should brands develop first – mobile Web or mobile app? Chet Fenster, MEC Entertainment
• Fostering shopper loyalty with mobile retail – Matt Martin, Sam’s Club
• The dos and don’ts of mobile marketing to minority groups – Professor Neal Burns, University of Texas
• How device detection helps Smart AdServer target ads at mobile devices – Sandrine Cardi, Smart AdServer
• Your customers are mobile, are you? Mike Yonker, Rockfish
• Insights into mobile advertising from a mobile ad exchange – John Phenix, Nexage
For the European perspective see the European mobile experts series
• Be the first to know about mobiThinking guides, competitions etc… follow mobiThinking on Twitter: @mobithinking.
And don’t miss:
• The mobile city project – the blueprint of a truly mobilized city
• The insider’s guide to mobile device security.
• The insider’s guide to device detection
• The insiders' guides to world’s greatest mobile markets
• Guide to mobile agencies
• Guide to mobile ad networks
• Guide to mobile industry awards
• The big compendium of global mobile stats
© mobiThinking. Feel free to reference, quote and paraphrase mobiThinking articles, clearly stating and linking to mobiThinking as the source, but reprinting or republishing the whole piece without permission will not be tolerated.