Video: US warehouse chain fosters member loyalty with mobile; shares tips on mobile retail. Matt Martin, Sam’s Club
Mobile retail should not be about technology, platforms and devices or even demographics. Start by understanding who the customer is, what they do and what they really want. When you know what is most meaningful, beneficial and adds the most value, invest specifically in those areas.
Members pay a fee to shop at Sam’s Club’s 600 warehouse stores. Introduced in 2010, and used by a million members, mobile is intended to be the bridge between the store experience and the Web experience.
In this interview Matt Martin, senior manager, mobile strategy and emerging media, Sam’s Club, answers the following questions:
0:12 What is Sam’s Club?
0:42 How does Sam’s Club use mobile to engage customers and engender loyalty?
1:25 How many Sam’s Club members use mobile to browse, purchase goods or in-store?
2:05 Why is it necessary to have both mobile Web and mobile apps?
3:00 Why is it important to distinguish between PC and mobile Web users?
4:08 What are your best-practice tips for mobile retail?
5:02 What can mobile deliver that Web cannot?
There are ten video interviews in this series.
There are ten video interviews in the North America mobile experts series:
• What marketers need to know about mobile in China – Jia Zheng, AKQA
• Using mobile to tap into millions of concert-goers – Russell Wallach, Live Nation Network
• Your customers are mobile, are you? Mike Yonker, Rockfish
• Weather Channel’s guide to targeted mobile advertising – Scott Jensen, Weather Channel
• The dos and don’ts of mobile marketing to minority groups – Professor Neal Burns, University of Texas
• How device detection helps Smart AdServer target ads at mobile devices – Sandrine Cardi, Smart AdServer
• What should brands develop first – mobile Web or mobile app? Chet Fenster, MEC Entertainment
• Meeting the needs of mobile customers with mobile Web/HTML5 – Stephen Gates, Starwood Hotels
• Insights into mobile advertising from a mobile ad exchange – John Phenix, Nexage
For the European perspective see the European mobile experts series
• Be the first to know about mobiThinking guides, competitions etc… follow mobiThinking on Twitter: @mobithinking.
And don’t miss:
• The mobile city project – the blueprint of a truly mobilized city
• The insider’s guide to mobile device security.
• The insider’s guide to device detection
• The insiders' guides to world’s greatest mobile markets
• Guide to mobile agencies
• Guide to mobile ad networks
• Guide to mobile industry awards
• The big compendium of global mobile stats
© mobiThinking. Feel free to reference, quote and paraphrase mobiThinking articles, clearly stating and linking to mobiThinking as the source, but reprinting or republishing the whole piece without permission will not be tolerated.