Here are some fascinating facts and figures on mobile social networks. In summary:
• Mobile users spend more time (lots more) on social networking sites than PC users.
• In the US, Facebook and MySpace are top 10 mobile destinations (in terms of audience). AOL is also in the top 10, which includes Bebo.
• Facebook is the number one mobile destination in the UK (in terms of audience). When you consider time spent accessing the Web via a mobile in the UK, Flirtomatic and AOL/Bebo are also in the top 10.
Conclusion: marketers need to take mobile social networking seriously. If you want to learn more, check out this guide, brimming with tips from leading experts:
• The insider's guide to mobile social networking: the 10 Ps..
If you need more stats on all things mobile, please see:
• Compendium of global mobile stats
You will note that the UK figures are more precise and more in-depth than the US statistics i.e. they give unique users, rather than target audience. The UK figures come through a ground-breaking initiative called Mobile Media Metrics, where the GSMA and ComScore take data on mobile phone usage direct from the UK operators. See this briefing from the GSMA/ComScore, January 2010 for more details.
Table 1: Mobile users are much more active on social networks than PC users.
Minutes spent on social networking per day accessed by mobile device or desktop
Source: GSMA/ComScore, January 2010
Table 2: Facebook is the most popular mobile destination in the UK. It also eclipses Google (the number 2 mobile destination) when it comes to pages viewed and total minutes spent online.
Top 10 UK Mobile Internet Sites January
ComScore/GSMA Mobile Media Metrics, January 2010
Total Unique Visitors (million)
Total Pages Viewed (million)
Total Minutes (million)
AOL including Bebo
AOL including Bebo
Source: ComScore/GSM, January 2010
Table 3: Two, possibly three of the top 10 mobile destinations in the US are social networks - Facebook, MySpace and, maybe, AOL/Bebo.
Most popular mobile destinations in the US (in millions)
ComScore, January 2010
Total Audience: 13+ yrs old
AOL Media Network
The Weather Channel
Source: ComScore, January 2010