Global mobile statistics 2013 Home: all the latest stats on mobile Web, apps, marketing, advertising, subscribers, and trends...
December 2013: The essential compendium of need-to-know statistics. Beware of media hype and mobile myth – put your mobile strategy on a sound footing with the latest research from credible independent experts. Global mobile subscribers, handset sales, smartphone penetration and market share, mobile Web usage, mobile apps, mobile ad spend, top mobile operators and mobile financial services.
The mobiThinking compendium of mobile statistics and research
The stats, all the stats and nothing but the stats…
In the past three years, we have gone from a smattering of mobile statistics to an abundance of useful information. But there's still a long way to go, there are still huge gaps in our knowledge, some countries enjoy a proliferation of data sources, while others have little or none; and the quality of statistics varies incredibly. As telecoms regulators and industry associations start to collect and share meaningful data, things will only get better.
An unfortunate side effect of the media’s recent surge of enthusiasm for mobile in the past year is a tendency to highlight data of dubious quality (often when better is available), and/or widespread misunderstanding, misreporting and failure to qualify figures they have cherry-picked. This isn't just misleading and confusing, it's damaging. If brands are persuaded by hype to divert funds into niche, ill-thought-through mobile projects and then get burnt, the whole mobile business suffers.
This mobile stats compendium – which is regularly updated - hopefully goes some way to putting right some of the sins of the last few years. But please remember that even the best quality independent statistics are speculative to some degree – stats are not facts.
• If you use any of the stats, please remember to source and link to both the analysts and to mobiThinking. Please do not republish more than 5 percent of any piece of content without seeking permission.
• Thanks to all the analysts, associations and regulators that continue to send us their research. Please keep us updated: editor(at)mobiThinking.com.
• Be the first to know when we add new stats: @mobithinking
Finding your way around the mobile stats compendium:
The compendium has now been split up into constituent parts, to help navigation and allow us to add even more stats. Each section opens in a new window.
Section A: Mobile subscribers; handset market share; mobile operators
1) Mobile subscribers worldwide • Mobile subscriptions v unique mobile users (NEW)
2) The top 14 mobile markets (mobile and 3G subscriptions) (NEW): China • India • USA etc.
3) Mobile device shipments • Mobile device penetration
4) Smartphone shipments • Top five smartphone countries • Smartphone sales forecasts by region (NEW) • Smartphone shipments/forecasts by OS share (NEW) • Smartphone average selling price forecasts (NEW).
5) Smartphone market penetration
6) Mobile tablets and e-Readers
7) Mobile phone security • Rise of mobile malware
8) Top mobile network operators • timescale for operators to run out of profit
Section B: Mobile Web; 3G
1) Active mobile-broadband/3G subscriptions worldwide (UPDATED)
2) Top countries for mobile-broadband penetration (3G subscriptions) (NEW) • USA • China • Japan etc.
3) Top countries for mobile Web users: China (NEW) • Japan (NEW)
4) Mobile browsing v desktop browsing
5) Most popular mobile browsers
6) Mobile-only Web users
7) Internet-ready mobile handsets
8) High-speed mobile networks
9) Unlimited data plans and cost of data
• 7, 8 and 9 are seen as the drivers of mobile Web and mobile media growth.
Section C: Mobile marketing, advertising and messaging
1) SMS - the king of mobile messaging
2) Mobile email, instant messaging and MMS
3) Global messaging revenues
4) The impact of OTT messaging services
5) Application to person (A2P) messaging.
6) Expenditure on mobile advertising and marketing worldwide
7) Mobile advertising in Japan, US, China
8) Top mobile ad networks
9) Consumer reaction to mobile ads
10) Why advertisers need a mobile-friendly site
Section D: Consumer mobile behavior
1) What do consumers use their mobiles for? (US, Western Europe and Japan).
2) Consumers, favorite mobile activities in the US
3) Consumers, favorite mobile activities in China
4) Mobile search activity
Section E: Mobile apps, app stores, pricing and failure rates
1) How many people use apps? (NEW)
2) Do smartphone users use apps more than mobile Web or SMS? (NEW)
3) How many mobile apps are there? (NEW)
4) How many mobile apps are downloaded each year? (NEW)
5) How much revenue do/will apps generate? (NEW) • Who’s making money? • Who’s losing money? (NEW)
6) How do you make money from apps? (NEW)
7) How many app stores are there? • What’s the largest? (NEW) • What’s the best? (NEW)
8) What type of apps are most popular/abundant? (NEW)
9) Which apps are most used? (NEW)
10) How many apps fail? (How many are downloaded, tried and deleted?)
11) Is a mobile app a substitute for a mobile Website/mobile-optimized Website? (NEW)
12) How many businesses use/will use enterprise (private) app stores? (NEW)
Section F: Mobile payment, including m-commerce, near-field communications/contactless payments, m-ticketing and m-coupons
1) Mobile payments (m-payments)
2) Top countries for m-payments
3) NFC tap & go payments
4) Mobile commerce (m-commerce)
5) Mobile shopping consumer behavior
6) Top m-commerce retailers
7) Mobile tickets (m-ticketing)
8) Mobile coupons (m-coupons)
Section G: Mobile financial services (MFS) and m-banking
1) Users of MFS (m-banking, m-wallets, remittance etc)
2) MFS, money transfers and banking the unbanked in Asia and Africa
3) Mobile banking (m-banking) in the West
4) Money transfers outpacing m-banking
Section H: Venture capital (VC) investment in mobile
• Sorry we had to turn comments of on this article due excessive spam comments, if you have a comment on this guide, please email: editor (at) mobiThinking.com.
• Be the first to know when mobiThinking adds new stats, guides, competitions etc… follow mobiThinking on Twitter: @mobithinking or via the RSS feed.
• Mobile SEO best practices for 2014
• Guide to mobile industry awards • Check out the latest video case studies.
• The insiders' guides to world’s greatest mobile markets • Latest: Germany
• Guide to mobile agencies • Latest profile: XS2
• Guide to mobile ad networks • Latest profiles: DMG • Twinpine
• Mobile events 2014 • best conferences, great discounts and free tickets •
• The big compendium of global mobile stats
© mobiThinking. Feel free to reference, quote or paraphrase parts of mobiThinking articles, clearly stating and linking to mobiThinking as the source, but reprinting or republishing the whole or substantial parts of the piece without permission will not be tolerated. Please see mobiThinking’s legal statement.